- 1 1. "Velvet" the chicken Separate an egg (see tip above) and put the egg white in one bowl and the yolk in another. Crack another whole egg into the bowl with the yolk, whisk it, then keep aside for later. Add 1 tbsp of cornflour to the bowl with the egg white and mix well to make a paste/batter, then add thechicken pieces to it and toss to coat. Keep aside.
- 2 2. Fry the peppers Fry the cashews (if having) in a little oil in a non-stick wok until lightly toasted. Remove from the pan. In the same wok, fry the chicken pieces in a little oil in batches until golden, then remove from the pan. Add the peppers to the wok with 1 tbsp water and cook for 2 mins, or until just tender but with some crunch. Add the Black Bean Paste along with 80ml of water and stir well. Let it cook until it's reduced by about half.
- 3 3. Return the chicken Add the Chilli Garlic Sauce and stir well. Return the chicken to the wok and toss to coat in the sauce. Let it cook for 4-5 mins, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, then turn off the heat. Meanwhile, start the rice.
- 4 4. Make the fried rice In a separate pan, fry the onion in a little oil and a knob of butter until translucent (~ 2 mins). Then push the onions to the side of the pan and pour in the whisked egg. Let it set a little bit then scramble it and mix it in. Add the Fried Rice Seasoning and the rice (no need to pre-cook) and stir fry for 2-3 mins. Stir through the spring onions then turn off the heat.
- 5 Serve! Serve the chicken over your fried rice, with the toasted cashews sprinkled on top.