- 1 Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Bring a large pot of water to the boil then add the rice and let it cook uncovered for just 7-8 mins, then drain and rinse under cold water. Meanwhile, do step 2.
- 2 Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large pan over medium heat and then fry the onion for 5-7 mins until golden brown. Add the chicken and the Garlic Paste and stir fry for 3 mins. Add the Biryani Paste and fry for 2 more mins.
- 3 Add the chopped tomatoes and roughly 3/4 of the Bombay Spice Mix and fry for 5 mins. Turn the heat down and add in half of the yoghurt (200g) and mix it in. Let it simmer for 2 mins.
- 4 Spread half the rice in the base of an oven dish. Ladle your chicken on top of the rice with some sauce to cover the layer of rice, and then put the rest of the rice on top of the chicken. Keep the extra curry sauce in the pan for now, and heat it to serve as extra sauce. Sprinkle the rest of the Bombay Spice Mix evenly over the rice along with flaked almonds and pomegranate seeds (if using), then cover the dish with foil and cook it in the oven for 20 min. Meanwhile, see last step.
- 5 While the biryani cooks, mix 1 tbsp lemon juice with the rest of the yoghurt in a bowl with the cucumber (if using) to make a cooling raita, and then serve the biryani with this, and some extra sauce alongside.